Saturday, July 18, 2015

Seasonal Downsize: Kids Clothing

     Children are constantly growing and because of that, their wardrobe needs to be gone through every so often to weed out the stuff that no longer fits or is no longer in season. This is the process I use just about every season change.
     First, I gathered ALL of my daughter's clothing and put it in one big pile. It's great to see everything all in one place. One person does not need THAT much clothing!


     Next, I went through everything. I had my daughter try on any questionable items for fit and weeded out anything I didn't love, putting it in a pass on pile.

Here is what I kept:

  • 1 pile of Fall/Winter appropriate clothing (Same stuff she wore last Winter & Spring)
  • 1 pile of Summer appropriate clothing
  • Half her underwear
  • 1/3 of her socks and....
  • A small pile to Pack Away! 

     When it comes to the off season pile (Fall/Winter), I put it away in a separate area from what is currently appropriate. It helps me find my better choice options a lot easier. 


     When packing away the few items I wanted to keep for a next baby, I came across this dilemma. My designated storage bin was already full! So, when I put the new items in, it wouldn't shut.


     I knew I had to downsize! This was VERY hard. I knew that what was in this bin had already gone through a keep or purge process and everything in here were all things that I loved. Either way, I had to go through it all again. I'm very strick about keeping no more than one bin per 6 months for all her clothing, shoes and accessories. 
     I pulled everything out and separated into categories. Then separated by size the things I had a lot of. It was still very hard to choose what to let go of but here's a few things that helped. First, I looked for multiples. I had multiple pairs of pants same size, color and material. So I let the extras go. Another thing I did was check to make sure I could make a few outfits with the tops and bottoms, since there were colors involved, I found that I had kept some black stretch pants but couldn't find any tops I'd pair them with (I liked a softer look). Lastly, because I had a few collections of coordinating onsies I had to just pick my absolute favorites and let the others that were still great go to another child who could use them. 
     I re-packed my designated bin in a different fashion and now everything fits. There's even some extra space for some items that are still being worn but will be packed away to keep when I do this process again.


     Here is what I'm passing on. It doesn't look like much but it's not being used or being kept. I usually always try to find someone who will appreciate recieving hand me downs before I even start my go through process that way my newly created pile will already have a new home to go to.
     *The underwear I bought brand new and have never been washed or worn, I just bought two packages to get all the designs I wanted for my daughter. These ones are clean and brand new out of package. I'm sure my little cousin will love them!


     I hope any tips I shared will help anyone else who has a similar process they do. Thanks for reading.
-Danika


No comments:

Post a Comment