Saturday, August 29, 2015

How To Declutter

WHAT IS CLUTTER?
Clutter is a collection of things laying about in an untidy mass.
Today, I'm going to help you declutter by walking you through 5 easy steps to removing unnecessary things from the untidy or overcrowded spaces in your home.


STEP 1:
Choose an area you want to declutter.
Today, I chose my vanity area. I've put this off for far to long. As you can see, it's a small yet troublesome area.

STEP 2:
Pick up trash.
This is so important. In fact, we generate a lot of trash in this area due to our constent use of cotton swabs, cotton balls and flossers. If the area you have chosen to declutter is a high trash area, consider adding a trash bin in the space. I added a small one last week and it has helped so much.

STEP 3:
Remove all items that do not belong in that space. If the item has a home, return it to it's proper home right away.
Although there were things that didn't belong at all such as electronics, toys, a drinking cup, and cleaning products, I was amazed that most of the clutter on my vanity had homes already right under the sink.

STEP 4:
For the items that do belong, remove them for a moment to wipe down any surfaces. 
This is a great way to start fresh. A cleared and clean area can provide you with new ideas for a more functional space.

STEP 5:
Replace the items that belong in the area. Consider function, and ways to improve common issues in the space. 
I realized that to solve my clutter issue, I needed to have my makeup organizer on the counter so i could easily put things away after using them. Also, my husband always has trouble getting the cotton swabs out of the tall apothecary jar; So I put them in my makeup organizer since we're low on them anyway, and filled the tall jar with my cotton balls instead.

Your area should now be decluttered and tidy! YAY! Now doesn't that look so much better!

     Thanks for reading! I wish you the best.
-Danika

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas, thanks for sharing. I really like your idea of having a transparent organizer, which could be easily set under the counter if a person rather display pretty trinket dishes or candles. Having an easy to reach garbage bin nearby is a must have too. Great before & after pictures. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete