Thursday, February 12, 2015

Defeat & Reaching A New Level

   This is a back story of how a lot of the clutter came into our lives, the first steps we took to overcome it, finding a passion and what I'm doing now to continue moving in a positive direction.

  In late 2013, I realized that I had a big shopping problem. All I wanted was a beautiful home but I didn't know what I wanted. Seasons were the only thing I knew to decorate for, but when one season ended so did my happiness about my home. It was like starting all over trying to find stuff that fit the new season. I would change things up all of the time; Each season was different. Different scents, different colors, a whole new look. I was buying different colored towels, pots and pans, new hand soaps, body washes, candles, bed sheets, pillows, table decor and more. It was crazy I tell you! Crazy!!! The best thing I could do at that point was to stop shopping and except that I didn't know what I wanted. Seasonal decor became more of a problem then anything else. I needed decor that could stay year round, but now was not the time or place for that.

     The aftermath of seasonal shopping, along with a bunch of other unused clutter we had already, had taken a huge toll on me and started affecting my family as well. I was always busy cleaning, laundry was endless and the disaster just never ended. I felt defeated! Stuff was everwhere all the time but you'd never know it. Whenever we'd have guests coming over, we shoved everything into our bedroom or in our daughters room and shut the doors. We faked that our home was kept clean and beautiful. We faked that things were okay, like we had our lives together, when in fact they were not. Something had to change. 

  I remember reaching one of my first breaking points. I was done with all of this! My relationships were suffering and it was my fault. I took all of my decor down and packed it away along with everything else. Clutter was piled up everwhere! I needed it out of sight. It was causing so much tension, frustration and stress. It was mostly me who had caused this problem and at the time, I wouldn't even let my husband help me fix it. It was just like an episode of hoarders. I had to go through everything myself. I have never felt I was a hoarder. I had never been called one either; Except by my husband a few months ago because I still had two sets of pots and pans that I'd change through the seasons. I got rid of a set after reflecting on that.

     Anyway, we bought as many bins as we could find in the stores near us. They had to be the same for a more uniform and clean look. Shortly after that time, we got our garage rental. We knew that we needed the stuff out of our living space. It was nice to have it out but the garage was an extra bill. No one wants that! As I have said before in a recent post, it wasn't easy going to the garage all of the time. I did often but it wasn't easy. Still, I needed to sort things and it wasn't going to get sorted on it's own.

     Months past by before I was inspired to start a blog. It was a blog about something totally different before I realized my real passion and focus was on fixing this disaster I had created. I wanted to get back to my happy place, being simple and organized. So that's been my goal.

     I research minimalism and simple living in my free time a lot now and it really helps take me to the next level. Everytime I let go of things, I feel that I learn something new. It feels like a mental process as much as it is a physical one. I'm finding it easier to let go of things that in my last great purge I wasn't ready to let go of. It's been a great learning process. This week I was really motivated and filled 10 bins of stuff to let go of. I'm so proud of myself. I can actually see a clearing of open space. I love it!

     If you're struggling with clutter like I was, I strongly suggest letting go. Just try it and see how free you feel afterwards. It's truly rewarding!
     Well wishes to you!
          -Danika

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment